Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:25:16 +1100
From:      Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'find' is running all by itself

On Tuesday 21 November 2000 16:15, Chip wrote:
> John P. Campbell wrote:
> >
> > A look at /etc/periodic/daily on my box shows that find runs quite
often.
> > It's a good chance that is what you are seeing.
> >
> > <rubina>: jpc % cd /etc/periodic/daily/
> > <rubina>: daily % grep find *
>
> I tried this command as you have it shown above and get
> daily: command not found
> Besides that, in my daily directory is a whole bunch of stuff,
> and
> find is not amoung any of it. Should it be? It's not any big
> deal,
> I'm just curious where it's starting and what is telling it to
> start. None of the other fbsd machines do this.

This is a joke, right?

You didn't really fail to recognise the '%' as a c-shell prompt, did you?

You didn't type "daily % grep find *" instead of "grep find *", did you?

You weren't really expecting the 'find' command to be there were you?

If the answer to ANY one of the aboce was yes, then you need to get
yourself some basic books on Unix.  Asking questions here won't do you much
good as you won't understand the answers.

The explanation that was given you was most probably accurate.  You
mightcheck the system time, though.

Geoff
--
count@shalimar.net.au