Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:30:55 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Determining process preventing umount of busy partition

<fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> > Is this a one-time event or 100% reproducable?
>
> I've tried it several times, it can always be reproduced.
>
> > A likely scenario is:
> > - You have squid running
> > - You have rc_shutdowntimeout at default (30 seconds)
>
> I'm not sure if this setting (?) will have an effect after trying
> the umount operation in SUM. Even if umount is retried after a
> several time, /usr is still "busy".

To explain the setting:
If the shutdowntimeout is hit, rc stops killing daemons like it's supposed to
do (effectively, stops calling rc.d scripts with SHUTDOWN keyword).

This is weird, though. New theories (where are Chase, Cameron and Foreman when
you need them!):

fstat is lying, instead use:
fstat -f /usr -m -v

You have a mount on top of /usr, ie.: /usr/local or /usr/ports.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.