Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:09:53 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
To:        "Spence Dance" <sdance@bigfoot.com>, "Spence Dance" <danceman@qzip.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Spence Dance wrote:

> hello,
> i am not very familiar with freebsd, but what would be involved in running it as a fileserver to 15 windows 98 workstations.  is that even possible?  would it be stable?  where do i start?
> spence in texas

A subject line would help make your question clear.

I have used FreeBSD and Samba for several years to do just what you describe.
It works very well. Take a look at www.samba.org. CoriolisOpen Press has a book
with CD's, too (www.coriolis.com). My shelves are littered with books I've
used to  get started on something new; I even have the 1978 edition on
Kernighan and Ritchie, and a little gem called Mosaic Quick Tour. And I know
there have been other books about Samba. It's very popular.

--
 == Gary Dunn
 == Honolulu