Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 02:48:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

According to Mike Smith:
> > > When a majority can no longer be thusly accommodated, we'll just shrug
> > > and ditch it completely in favor of the 2(*)-floppy solution.
> >
> > It is not that bad.  I'm doing more and more boot off the CDROM installs.
> > I assume sysinstall + boot kernel can be quite large there.
> > Is the boot kernel there a full GENERIC kernel?
>
> No.  The way that bootable CDROMs work is that the BIOS pretends that a
> 1.44MB region at the beginning of the CDROM is actually a 1.44MB floppy
> disk.
>
> I wouldn't mind finding the asshole responsible for this fiasco and
> doing something traumatic to their lower digestive tract with a
> petrol-powered Weed Eater.
>
> The only ways out of this are:
>
>  - mandate a floppy in addition to the CDROM (sucks)
>  - add CDROM drivers to the bootloader (ATAPI, SCSI for Adaptec and NCR
>    at least)
>
> Both of these are painful.

Less so than the Weed Eater, is my guess. :-)

But... we have 1.44 MB on the CD... Since the bios manages to read the
file, wouldn't there be a generic way that we could also read something
from the CD? So that we could make a floppy which does a call and reads a
5 MB image from the CD, and unpacks the kernel with MFS from that, with
full drivers and a nice splash image, too. :-)
But, lemme guess: "Sorry... There's no way to fool the BIO to read the CD" ?

  /Mikael