Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:08:47 +13
From:      "Kit" <eon@host02.net.voyager.co.nz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP -auto -alias and 192.168 network

Hi

I have set up a 386dx as a gateway running ppp -auto -alias and would
appreciate a pointer to what to look for with the following questions

Network consists of

  ____________          ___________         ___________
 | P90        |        | 386       |       | 486       |
 | win95/     |--------|FreeBSD    |-------|FreeBSD    |
 | FreeBSD    |        |           |       |           |
 |192.168.1.2_|        |192.168.1.1|       |192.168.1.3|
 |____________|        |___________|       |___________|

                          ISP

0.  FreeBSD version is 2.2.5  off the CD set

1.  Sometimes when ppp -auto -alias is running on the 386 and I
telnet from the P90 to 192.168.1.3 ppp dials out, some times it does
not.  Should I be setting a dfilter to prevent this or should I be
doing something with routing tables elsewhere. I am using

set ifaddr 127.1.1.1/0 127.2.2.2/0 255.255.255.0
 add 0 0 127.2.2.2
in ppp.conf as per the Pedantic PPP Primer
 as I nee the ISP to assign the addresses - would this affect the
routing of the internal network?
Other wise what else should I be looking for ?

2. What are the files that the ppp setup from /stand/sysinstall
modifies  - particularly wrt DNS and domain name - I figure I've
overlooked somthing here as under one configuration I added an ISPs
domain in the ppp setup and then changed the /etc/hosts and
/etc/rc.conf to use and internal domain but when I ran the sysinstall
the original DNS and ISP domain were still there.

3. On the P90 I have dual boot win95/FreeBSD.  The NIC is an EtherEZ
PnP combo SMC84-16BT on ed0 irq 10 I/O 300 PnP disabled.  Sometimes
after rebooting from Win95 to FreeBSD I am able to ping 127.0.0.1 and
192.168.1.2 but not anything els on the local network.  This seems to
clear up after doing shutdown -h and switching off for a bit.  I
assume that the reboot process is somehow leaving the card in an
unusable state and would appreciate any pointers on where to look to
find out how, and why it is _not_ every time.  I have also noticed
one occaision when rebooting the other way when I was unable to
telnet to or ping the other local machines.

4.  Is there something in ppp that caches file downloads ?
 I grabbed the Netscape tgz last night lost my link at 94% - thought
oh b... and went to reconnect and re d/l not only did the d/l pick up
where it left of but I was using netscape under win 95 to get it and
it reported speeds of up to 200 kB/s so I figured it was getting it
either from a cache local to the win95 machine or to the gateway, but
I have not set anything up to cache files and have not seen anything
that indicates that it does automatically - is there something elso
here that I have overlooked?

--
Regards
Kit

eon@voyager.co.nz
The views contained on this page may be considered subversive in some locales
Burn This Page