Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:45:45 -0500
From:      "Jason Portwood" <jason@iac.net>
To:        "'Jim Weeks'" <jim@siteplus.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Silly makeworld question

> I have co-located severs and at present I CVSUP files on a
> regular basis
> and ever so often run make buildworld from a script remotely.
> Afterwards I go to the co-location, shutdown to single user and make
> installworld along with the usual procedures.  Of course this is a
> hassle.

An option would be to use serial consoles on your machines.  Then designate
one of the boxes a serial console server and put in a multiport board.  Or
you could always just pair two machines together over the com ports.

That gives you nearly all the power of being right in front of the box.
Shutdown
to single user - do the upgrade - bring it back multi-user and done.

It also has other advantages.  For example if the machine crashes and there
wasn't a major problem you can usually send the console a break and reboot
the box remotely.  No driving in at 3am!

Just remember that you will want to have the console set to not be trusted
anymore.  No need to have one machine being comprised take the others down.

Jason Portwood - jason@iac.net
Systems Administrator - Strategic/Internet Access Cincinnati
Sales and Tech Support - 513-860-9052