Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:57:46 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

> Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>

> Can't we use the pkg* interface to find out if a package is installed or
> not? It's much more robust thatn relying on the path being set properly
> for all users who might try and install a port.

If we did, we'd have to have make install invoke some kind of pkg_install,
as some machines like mine have never actually gone the package install route,
(mine for instance has till last week just had a complete ports tree,
with regular make all & install, so all ports are there, but very few pkg bits.)

Julian S