Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:33:46 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

>> > I'm about as much a non-release engineer as Jordan is a non-FreeBSD hacker.
>> > You aren't the only person who has ever been a release engineer, Jordan.
>> > Please watch the petty and snide remarks.
>>
>> Sorry, but I guess it's easy to be petty and snide with someone whom I
>> consider to be "the Charles Hannum" of FreeBSD.
>
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA!!!!!!
>
>Thank you, Jordan ;-)

   I think this whole thread has degenerated to an amazingly low level. Of
course you are nothing like Charles, and of course what Jordan meant in his
original comment was that you aren't a FreeBSD release engineer and never
have been. What release-engineering duties you have during your day job has
very little to do with the release engineering that we do with FreeBSD. The
defining difference being that in a company, the boss tells you how it will
be, and in FreeBSD it's however we think we can do it with the least pain (the
pain being balanced between the amount of effort it takes and the acceptable
product quality level). We do the best we can and I believe we have struck a
good balance and have put out several good releases to show for it.
   In actual fact, we have been doing alpha/beta/gamma releases. With every
near-release SNAP that Jordan has done in the past releases, he has indicated
that a certain SNAP should be considered the "alpha" candidate, or the "beta"
candidate, etc. What we have stopped doing is organize a large release testing
team. We simply don't have the resources to manage it and more importantly,
haven't found enough interested people to participate. If YOU want to do this,
then that would be great and I'm sure it would help the product quality in
the final release.

-DG

David Greenman