Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:25:16 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Dayligh Saving Time in Europe

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:20:03AM +0000, Bart Lateur wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:50:04 +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> >You actually *do* want CEST. "S" stands for Summer, not Standard.
> >The timezones for Belgium are the same as here in Sweden.
> >CET (Central European Time) during the winter and CEST (Central European
> >Summer Time) during summer.
>
> Oh. Damned. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to check if gmtime
> returns the correct answer (2 hours difference?).
>
> So how can I choose plain "CET"? Because every year again, there are
> political debates about abandoning this "barbaric" Daylight Saving Time
> thing altogether. If this happens, is FreeBSD 3.4 ready for it?

Sure. You see, the information on when Daylight Saving Time sets in is
actually kept in a database in /usr/share/zoneinfo/.
So FreeBSD will automatically change between Daylight Saving Time and normal
time at the appropriate time.
So once you have used sysinstall to set the right timezone you don't have to
worry about it any more.

If DST is abandoned then an updated database should find its way into the
FreeBSD sources pretty soon.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson