Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:16:35 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Mike Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd'ed disks

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 12:44:54PM -0400, Mike Knoll wrote:
> I have two IDE disks, different size, and was wondering if I'd benifit from
> ccd'ing them with striping.  I understand IDE has some issues that make
> RAID type devices nonexistant, but what are the reasons?

They don't exist, really.  You can buy RAID-controllers for IDE.

The only issues are that it is slightly more work to create a
high-performance RAID-controller that use IDE to simulate SCSI, that
you want SCSI for your RAID to be able to have several requests active
at the same time, and that the IDE-drives normally are low-end drives
physically compared to the SCSI-drives.

Eivind.