Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:25:48 +0200
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: route entries after ICMP redirect

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> I've got some problem with route entries that was created after ICMP
> redirect messages. They are never expired.
>
> Our default gateway (it's a HP switch) send ICMP redirect messages if it
> see a short path to destination. It's makes it not so overloaded. But
> pathes sometime changed. There is no problem with Windows workstations,
> they are rebooted daily. But my FreeBSD boxes hold dinamic route entries
> forever.
>
> I've looked through RFCs and Stevens' books and found no answer on what
> TTL for this entries.
> Now I just add route flush as cron job. But may be there is another way?

This has been fixed in CVS in MAIN (rev. 1.52) and MFC'ed to RELENG_4
(rev. 1.37.2.5) and RELENG_5 (rev. 1.51.4.2) a couple of weeks ago:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/in_rmx.c

So either syncing to one of these branches or applying the relevant
patch manually to your kernel sources ought to solve the problem.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net