Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:26:07 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@UDcast.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   module if_disc.ko - network module

I am using FreeBSD 3.4R.

I am currently investigating on how easy it is to transform a kernel network
device driver into a dynamically loadable module.

I found and loaded the if_disc.ko module into memory, it seems to work fine
because I have a new entry with ifconfig -a. I have no idea what this pseudo
network interface is for, and I could not find any man
on it. Any idea, pointers ? Where could I find the source ?

I wrote a network device driver for a very specialized satellite reception card.
This driver is compiled, as most of the network drivers, in the kernel.

I am just wondering if it is possible to make this driver a loadable module.
Assuming that the board is in on PCI bus, supports DMA bus mastering, may
transfer data up to 40Mbps. Any idea, pointers ? What should I pay attention to,
what are the limits... ?

Thanks in advance,
Emmanuel Duros
--