Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:13:27 -0500
From:      jmire@lsuhsc.edu (Mire, John)
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Building different branch kernel on same machine [3-STABLE on 4-S TABLE]

based on the above postings from the archives:
I tried this with /usr2/src hierarchy for 3-STABLE kernel source on my
4-STABLE
machine with 3.X compatibility installed and got this error output:

[jmire@hawk] %cd /usr2/src/sys/i386/conf
[jmire@hawk] %/usr2/sbin/config -g GENERIC
config: line 51: root/dump/swap specifications obsolete
config: line 62: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 63: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 64: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 65: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 68: syntax error
config: line 69: fdc 0 not defined
config: line 69: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 70: fdc 0 not defined
config: line 70: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 74: syntax error
config: line 75: wdc 0 not defined
config: line 75: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 76: wdc 0 not defined
config: line 76: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 78: syntax error
config: line 79: wdc 1 not defined
config: line 79: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 80: wdc 1 not defined
config: line 80: Obsolete keyword 'disk' found - use 'device'
config: line 91: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 93: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 94: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 95: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 96: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 97: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 99: syntax error
config: line 100: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 101: syntax error
config: line 102: syntax error
config: line 103: syntax error
config: line 107: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 114: syntax error
config: line 115: syntax error
config: line 116: syntax error
config: line 117: syntax error
config: line 120: syntax error
config: line 121: syntax error
config: line 122: syntax error
config: line 123: Obsolete keyword 'conflicts' found
config: line 130: syntax error
config: line 151: syntax error
config: line 152: syntax error
config: line 153: syntax error
config: line 154: syntax error
config: line 162: syntax error
config: line 163: Obsolete keyword 'controller' found - use 'device'
config: line 192: syntax error
config: line 193: syntax error
config: line 194: syntax error
config: line 195: syntax error
config: line 196: syntax error
config: line 197: syntax error
config: line 198: syntax error
config: line 199: syntax error
config: line 206: syntax error
config: line 207: syntax error
../../conf/files: `device-driver' flag ignored.
WARNING: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 400018, version required = 300009

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

Unknown % construct in generic makefile: %LOAD
Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GENERIC

--
John Mire                      LSU Health Sciences Center
jmire@lsuhsc.edu             Computer & Information Services