Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:21:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      mgraffam@mhv.net
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in a multi-processor/machine array

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Brett Taylor wrote:
> > Can FreeBSD run on a 286?
>
> Nope - you can try minix.  I have a missive about this somewhere.
> Essentially the only "good" thing I every found about minix was "animals"
> - a game where the computer tries to guess what animal you're thinking of
> by asking you things like "is it a cat?"
> You say:  No.
> Computer says : describe it
> You say: exit
> Computer says : is it an exit?

Hehe.. yeah, I ran Minix and I remember that little gem.

All things said, Minix was a nice little system.. and if all you have
is a 286, it sure beats DOS. I ran Minix for quite some time, and one
of the best things about it is that it is small.. not that I don't like
big, robust systems or anything, but I learned a lot about the innards
of Minix, wrote my own console driver, and did various other hacks.

But it won't run Emacs or anything like that.. so you are limited to
smaller applications. I don't even know if Lynx would compile on the
286 version, so you might not even have a web browser (which is really
rather vital these days).

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam -- Philosophy, Religion, Computers, Crypto, etc
"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity.
Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the
guidance of another. . .Sapere aude! Have the courage to use your own
understanding!" - Immanuel Kant "What is Enlightenment?"