Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:39:50 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>, Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default FS Layout Too Small?

--------------enigA334AB76E3BD7A6D7974B0E9

Lawrence Stewart wrote:
=20
> When I last played around with having 1 large partition in the 6.1 days=
,=20
> it didn't actually work consistently. From memory the issue is that if =

> the boot filesystem (which was on the large root partition) extended=20
> past a particular combination of cyl/head/sector, the machine would=20
> crash in the boot stage. With a 20GB disk it was fine, but a 40GB disk =

> would trigger the crash.
>=20
> This may have been fixed since then, but it would be worth doing some=20
> testing on a range of hardware before we could recommend it as an optio=
n.

A counter point: we have several hundred servers of various makes[*], siz=
es
and ages -- most OS versions since 4.11 right up to 7.1-p3, typically wit=
40+ GB HDDs for the system disk (depending on age -- the most recent mach=
ines
have 160GB) -- all laid out in the all-in-one fashion and we've never see=
n the
problem described.  I can only suppose Lawrence ran into a specific mothe=
rboard
or BIOS limitation.

	Cheers,

	Matthew