Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:46:40 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        bdrewery@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Strange pkg_deinstall behaviour with pkgng

On 07/28/14 20:28, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was forced to switch to pkgng on a 9.2 box and I'm now noticing a
> strange behaviour.
>
> Before, "pkg_deinstall -R foo" would deinstall foo and all ports on
> which foo depended, except those who were needed by other ports.
>
> Now, "pkg_deinstall -R foo" will deinstall foo, all ports on which foo
> depends and all ports depending on the ports on which foo depends.
>
> E.g.
> Port A depends on B
> Port B depends on C
> Port D depends on C
>
> With the old behaviour, "pkg_deinstall -R A" would deinstall A and B
> (but not C).
> Now it will deinstall A, B, C and D.

After some investigation, this broke after the upgrade to pkg 1.3, in
which *by default* "pkg delete" seems to be the same as "pkg delete -R".

 From what I can tell, there is no flags to "pkg delete" which makes it
act as it used to and as portupgrade expects, so I cannot easily fix it.

I found the previous behaviour very useful, but if it's gone I'll try
and (sadly) live with it.
However I think this is a serious bug: someone might light heartedly
issue a "pkg_deinstall foo" and expect two or three ports being deleted,
while in fact it could now deinstall more than half of the installed ports.
At the very least, an entry in UPDATING should warn about this!!!

Just my 2c.

  bye
	av.