Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:55:47 -0700
From:      Mikael Cederberg <mceder@airmail.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Screen totally messed up after reboot.

At 04:58 PM 11/17/97 -0800, Doug White wrote:

>> wanted to boot to DOS or to the second drive, it started booting up into
>> freeBSD by loading the kernel of the right drive etc, but then my whole
>> screen is filled with garbage signs or ascII junk in different colors and
>> that's as far as I get.
>
>What's the details on the machine? Video card? Other hardware?
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Before I list that, just wanted to mention - it worked fine before on my
old drive(nowthe dos partition)..
The graphics card is a Cirrus Logic 5434 PCI.
The computer is an Acer pentium motherboard. 16mb RAM. Primary IDE
controller got a maxtor 514MB running windows95 as a master and a mitsumi
4x cdrom as a slave. The secondary IDE controller got a samsung 3.2GB set
up as a master with FBSD installed. It is when i boot of the samsung that
this problem is happening.
It gets to where it asks from where it should boot the kernel.. it goes to
the default ( 1:wd(1,a)kernel ) and then types out a line that says
text=0x12a 006
and then another line that goes away to quick to see. The next thing - the
whole screen is filled with ascii signs in different colors..

Now, another thing I want to mention.. My bios doesnt appear to be
supporting the 3.2 gig samsung fully.. it finds it with all the sectors,
but I had problems installing it as a dos partition before. A friend tried
the same drive on another computer and it worked fine - so it appears that
the drive is correct. But from what I heard, FreeBSD doesnt care about the
BIOS..

Sincerely,

Mikael Cederberg

--
Say no to drugs, violence on tv and HTML code in emails!!
[swedish.redneck@airmail.net]