Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:58:48 -0500
From:      Chris Ruiz <chris@young-alumni.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NDIS - True OR False

On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Weongyo Jeong wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:59:22PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> In article <41D96B7F-F76D-4F35-BA1D-0EDF810E6140@young-alumni.com>,
>> "Chris" writes:
>>
>>> True OR False
>>>
>>> 1) NDIS only works with XP drivers.
>>
>> Can't answer that as I've never needed to try a Vista driver.
>
> AFAIK NDISulator try to mimic that it works on Windows XP and the
> driver
> depends on the version of NDIS driver that normally it's 5.0 or
> 5.1.  I
> know Vista driver uses NDIS 6.x that isn't supported by NDISulator.

Thank you.

>>> 2) NDIS only works with 32-bit drivers and wont work on amd64.
>>
>> False, unless someone has broken it recently.  Project Evil has
>> worked
>> on 64-bit systems (and *requires* 64-bit drivers on such systems)
>> since I bought my current laptop ~three years ago.
>
> Yes it should work on amd64.  If not it's a regression.

I am reporting back that I have successfully got my MacBook's Broadcom
4328 to work with a bcmwl5 driver from a Dell driver distribution on
amd64 8-CURRENT.  The drivers that came with my MacBook were Vista
drivers.  A few problems: transfers rarely go over 200kb/s, the system
dead locks when rebooting, I have to manually run dhclient even though
it's set to run in rc.conf, and I get error messages about an
unsupported mode.  I don't expect any of these problems to get fixed,
I would just like others to know what to expect.

Chris