Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:28:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Mauro Dias <localhost@dsgx.org>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sshd exploit

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 10:52 PM 11/28/2001, f.johan.beisser wrote:
>
> >how long have you known of it? frankly, this is the first i've heard about
> >it, let alone the exploit binary.
>
> I reposted a report by Dave Dittrich to this list about two weeks ago. CERT
> has also had it on its Web page for a while now. To sum it up in a few
> sentences: Old versions of SSH have been hacked through the SSHv1 protocol,
> and the vulnerable code was adopted by OpenSSH, so older versions of that
> are vulnerable too.
>
> My recommendation: compile and install OpenSSH 3.0.1p1. Or, if you need
> some of the special integration that's been done in the Ports Collection,
> use the latest version that's there (2.9.something the last time I looked).
> FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE shipped with OpenSSH 2.3.0, which may be OK (I'm not
> sure just when they fixed the problem).
>
> --Brett

The CRC bug was fixed in 2.3.0, which was merged into -stable before the
release of freebsd 4.3.  If 3.0.1's giving you any enhanced immunity, it's
to a bug which has not yet been announced.

If there _is_ a new bug, and it follows the decription in the url posted
earlier in the thread, it's probably also SSHv1 related, and can be
avoided by disabling protocol 1 support in sshd_config - I find it
extremely unlikely that SSH.com and OpenSSH coders made the same mistake
in independantly created sshv2 implementations.

But, that's only if... I seem to doubt that there's a new bug, given the
lack of proof.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack