Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:15:25 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Metal Head <high@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports

* Metal Head <high@linuxmail.org> [000320 12:06] wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm kind of new to Unix. I decided to try out FreeBSD 3.4
> because I am tired of Micro$oft's crappy OS's, and would like a
> sterdy OS to develope my networking and development techniques. I
> have now idea however how to use the ports that I installed on my
> notebook. There is a makefile file, but how do I use it? I tried
> to use the console(dos like thing), but either I am doing it wrong,
> the makefile doesn't work, or that's not how to use it. Could you
> please help me out? Is there a good web site on Unix commands? I
> also have problems using a PCMCIA modem. I use KDE, I looked on
> the setup utility and it found my modem, but when I try to use the
> dial-up thing, it hangs when I try to communicate with the modem.
> I have an old ZOOM PCMCIA 14.4C modem. The notebook is a Sony Vaio
> F270. I was told that The modem that is built in will not work with
> BSD, Linux, BeOS, or any non-Microsoft product. Please help!

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

Ok, if you've installed the ports all you need to do is:

cd /usr/ports
ls
  <pick a category you're interested in>
cd <catagory>
ls
  <pick a program you're interested in>
cd <program>
make install

see http://www.freebsd.org/ports for more information.

You can go to http://www.freebsdmall.com/ to order "The Complete
FreeBSD" book which is pretty helpful, you may also enjoy "Harley
Hann's Student's Guide to Unix" which I found to be a pretty helpful
start.

best of luck,