Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:43:45 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Something about port 111

At 06:09 PM 1/4/2002 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>Hello gang,
>
>     This might be slightly off topic, but am curious, since it just
>started after going to 4.5-Pre.  I've noticed a tremendous increase in I
>assume portscans for port 111, since the upgrade.  AFIK, no one has
>gotten through, and I've not seen anything in particular about port 111
>in security.  IS there something vulnerable about 111 that would have
>increased a cracker's chance in gaining access via that port?

This would probably be better suited in -questions or -security, but...

Port 111 has and will be a target for scans.  It's highly unlikely that
increased visibility of scans has anything to do with your recent OS
update.  Either 4.5-Pre is logging them differently, or coincidentally the
scans have increased.

See http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html for a few links to
recent rpc services which have been found to have issues.  Most or all of
these don't affect FreeBSD in general, and all are certainly are fixed in
4.5-whatever

As always: know what open ports your system runs.  Use packet filtering as
needed.  Keep up on advisories.  Have an IDS, and keep good backups.

>Sam

--c