Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:23:52 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>, ajh3@chmod.ath.cx, jgowdy@home.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x86-64 Hammer and IA64 Itainium

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 06:08:36PM -0500, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> | and a bunch of ARMs for low-level I/O tasks. Back to imagination. (Take
> | a look at 0.15um copper process FPGAs with embeded ARM at Altera, for
> | example, and you will see why no one, in the futur, will never ever need
> | a proprietary and undocumented 'server class' SCSI or network card).

Do you mean to say that, in the future, we will all blow our own FPGAs
at home? That to get the next processor upgrade, you download the
schematics and use Xilinx Foundation Series to build a chip? FPGAs are
not the answer... they can never be as fast as custom-fab chips. It may
be, in the future, we get circuits to run fast enough that we wouldn't
notice given today's speeds, but remember, if FPGAs get that fast,
custom-fab chips will be even faster.

The future isn't FPGAs; it's GaAs BJT circuitry, designed and built by
the guys who have money to set up a fab and roll out millions of chips.
It will be a long, long time before anything changes about how we get
our chips; the only thing that will change is how they are made.

> Please make Altera/Xilinx make their FPGA programming software
> freely available.

Ugh. I think we need a better solution than the Xilinx software. It's
absolutely horrible. They should stick to electronics and leave the
software design to those who know what they're doing.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx