Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/25904: Error in the printf-function.

The following reply was made to PR misc/25904; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: gh@raditex.se
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:39:28 +0000

 On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 02:38:06PM -0800, gh@raditex.se wrote:

 > The printf function seems to mix up whats a pointer and whats
 > a value... ?

 You must pass the correct types to printf if you want it to
 do something sensible. Each time you used "%f", which means
 "I am about to pass a float or a double", but you passed a
 mixture of other things.

 If you're a beginner C programmer then I'd suggest that you
 turn on some more compiler warnings, which will give about
 this:

 	gcc -pedantic -ansi -W -Wall file.c

 Also, you might want to consult the C FAQ at:

 and try reading the newsgroup comp.lang.c.

 	David.