Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:10:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      dan@freebsddiary.org
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/25961: rmuser is not case sensitive

The following reply was made to PR bin/25961; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: dan@freebsddiary.org
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:13:25 -0800 (PST)

 >Number:         25961
 >Category:       bin
 >Synopsis:       rmuser is not case sensitive
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       non-critical
 rmuser is not case sensitive.  It will confirm the user you wish to
 delete, but then it deletes more than one user.
 >How-To-Repeat:
 adduser JOHN, adduser john, them rmuser john, both users
 are removed.
 >Fix:
 Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org> reported this in response to my
 post in -questions (200103192332.f2JNWXb68437@ns1.unixathome.org):

 In the rmuser script, there is a Search/Replace call that has /io, which
 searches in non-case sensitive mode.

 Below is a clip of what I have under 4.2-STABLE:

 while (<MASTER_PW>) {
 	if (not /^\Q$login_name:/io) {
 		print NEW_PW;
 	} else {
 		print STDERR "Dropped entry for $login_name\n" if \
 		$debug;

 		$skipped = 1;
 	}
 }

 Removing the i would probably resolve the non-case sensitive issue of
 rmuser.