Date:       Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:01:17 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is x-compiling 2.2 on a 3.x system supported?

On 2000-Jun-21 06:29:35 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
>In message <00Jun21.062523est.115224@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter
>Jeremy write
>s:
>> When I asked a similar question, Cy Schubert suggested running
>> buildworld inside a chroot'd 2.2 environment - and that worked
>> on a 4.x system (but I haven't gotten around to the installworld
>> part).

Actually, what I wrote isn't quite true.  I have successfully run the
installworld inside my chroot'd tree.  What I haven't done is install
the result into the target machine, so I can't confirm that the
resultant world is fully functional (though there were no glitches
with the installworld, so I don't expect any problems).  Since the
target is running a custom, cut-down copy of 2.2 (due to severe lack
of disk space), the final install is non-trivial.

Thanks for that suggestion, BTW - I was going to wait until I knew
it was fullt successful before thanking you, but it's taken a lot
longer than I initially hoped.

>Build the 2.2 kernel first, copy it to its root filesystem, then boot
>-s and installworld.

This will probably work with a 3.x world (later versions of 2.2
supported ELF executables), but the signal changes introduced last
August(?) mean that you can't run a 4.x executable with an earlier
kernel.

Also, remember that mergemaster was a port in 2.x and 3.x.  I'm not
sure whether the recent base-system mergemaster will run on 2.x.

Peter