Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 14:36:23 -0400
From:      cambria@world.std.com (Michael C Cambria)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd, pp= and userid

Hi,

First, thanks to all for your prior help in my effort to get
pppd to run using pp=/usr/sbin/pppd.  When I upgraded from
2.2.6-Release to 3.1-Release, pppd magically started on the
first try.  I thought 2.2.6 getty supported this, but in my
case it didn't.

I have a follow-up question on this setup.  Right now, dial
in users have regular accounts.  Do I have to do this?  In
other words, does a dialin pppd user have to send login and
password, then "ppp", or can they simply start sending ppp
(e.g. PAP/CHAP when auth is specified) and have FreeBSD only
use pap|chap-secrets to authenticate the remote end?

Thanks,
MikeC