Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:37:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, obrien@NUXI.com, paul@originative.co.uk, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, mjacob@feral.com, mike@smith.net.au, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: egcs ready for alpha?

> > Unfortuantely, a recent commit
> > put a fault handler in that does fixups on unaligned accesses, and the
> > damn this is defaulted to "on", which does a fat lot of good for getting
> > these problems *resolved* instead of *masked*.
>
> Terry, get your facts right.  FreeBSD/alpha has always had an unaligned
> fault handler (which came from NetBSD verbatim).  The recent commit was a
> sysctl variable to turn the fault handler *off*.

Doug, the commit originally defaulted the vaule to "off", but was
"corrected" to default it to "on", which is never going to identify
the problems adequately.

FreeBSD has historically done things like defaulting TCP/IP extensions
to on, and unmapping page zero, even though this has caused broken code
to explode.

Then the broken code, including the firmware in Livingston Portmasters,
gets fixed, and the world is a better place for the default that is
correct, but results in exploding code.

I believe the original commit of this sysctl, which defaulted the value
to "off" to be *correct*, if inconvenient for people who would rather
dig a new pot-hole than spend time filling an old one in.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.