Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:42:53 +0100
From:      Cameron Murdoch <cam@macaroon.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Stable (E-mail)" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ATA Errors with 4.7 prerelease

Note, I already send this twice but it hasn't appeared on the list.

Hi all
I am testing RAID 1 mirroring with the aim of replacing my aging
NT file server with a FreeBSD box.

My test machine is booting off a scsi disk, with the ata drives
each having their own channel.

root@mail# uname -a
FreeBSD mail.macaroon.net 4.7-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Sep
4 11:38:18 GMT 2002     root@mail.macaroon.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAIL
i386

I created the array with:
atacontrol create RAID1 ad0 ad2

Them created a 3Gb partition on ar0 mounted at /raid.

root@mail# mount
/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/da0s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s1g on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/ar0s1e on /raid (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Whilst all this was happening I was constantly seeing errors
from both ata drives before and after I created the array.

kernel: ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVVN07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
kernel: ad2: 39266MB <IC35L040AVVN07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA66
kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 71 (ad0 bn 71; cn 0 tn 1 sn 8)
retrying
kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 71 (ad0 bn 71; cn 0 tn 1 sn 8)
falling back to PIO mode
kernel: ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 71 (ad2 bn 71; cn 0 tn 1 sn 8)
retrying
kernel: ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 71 (ad2 bn 71; cn 0 tn 1 sn 8)
falling back to PIO mode

I then enabled tagged queuing, fetched a copy of the freebsd source into
/raid
and tried to build it but received the following error:

kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 365535 of 0-31 (ad0 bn 365535; cn
362 tn 10 sn 9)ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: no request for tag=0
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=1 - resetting
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: no request for tag=0
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=1 - resetting
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: no request for tag=0
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=1 - resetting
kernel: ad0: invalidating queued requests
kernel: ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests

I have turned tags off again and am not particularly bothered about them
not even sure if the disks support tags!

However it would be nice to get UDMA working. I realise that this is an
issue that has been discussed frequently on this list and others and if
I have missed something I apologise.  This list has provided excellent
support
despite the fact that I have only posted to it once in about two years!

I can provided any information that anybody wants to help them solve it.

Thanks
Cam