Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:01:37 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        ben@stuyts.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem on second drive: panic can't mount /

First, such matters belong in questions, not in stable (I've changed the
CC line accordingly).

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Ben Stuyts wrote:

> I am trying to install 2.1.5-Release on a system with three drives:
>
> - The first one is an IDE drive with Win95 (master on first IDE controller)
> - The second one is a SCSI drive with FreeBSD (scsi id 1)
> - The third one is a SCSI drive with WinNT (scsi id 2)
>
> The motherboard is a dual-pentium Giga-Byte DX586 with on-board 7880 scsi
> controller.
>
> I managed to get a bootmanager to boot FreeBSD, and it boots the kernel
> allright. After that, it panics and reboots because it cannot mount the /
> filesystem. If I disable the IDE drive in the bios, booting FreeBSD works
> just fine.
>
> I am not able to change the booting order in the bios so that the SCSI drives
> would be probed before the IDE drives.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

It's not the probe order that matters. It's where the kernel is looking
for the rot filesystem. Try one of the following:

1. At the Boot: prompt, give: 1:sd(0,a) (if the SCSI drive you boot from
is called sd0). You may also have to use the -r flag.

2. In your kernel config file, make sure that the config line reads:
config kernel root on sd0
(again, assuming sd0 is the SCSI drive with FreeBSD on it).

I hope one of these will work for you...

Nadav