Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 14:10:38 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Add new slice to running system, comments?

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> >In this context, vn devices are barely a bandaid.
> After reading the code :-), I think the vn devices already have decent
> performance for the contiguous && swapping case.  There isn't much
> overhead except for a VOP_BMAP() call for each block.  VOP_READ() and
> VOP_WRITE() aren't used for the swapping case (they would be extremely
> slow for msdosfs and merely OK for ufs).  The original vn driver avoided
> VOP_READ() and VOP_WRITE() in all cases, but John rewrote it.
> Contiguous files are necessary so that the disk doesn't have to seek for
> between virtually adjacent blocks.  A large block size may also be
> necessary.

Hmm.  Now I'm a little confused 8)  Are you saying that the vn device maps
the on-disk location of the file (its block map, I presume) and keeps
this internally to avoid using the fs-specific read/write functions?  If
this is the case, then I take everything back and will concentrate solely
on using it 8)

> Try it and see :-).  There's nothing to stop overlapping slices except
> fdisks that refuse to create them.   Other OS's might by confused by
> overlapping slices in the MBR.

I was only talking about adding the slices into the in-core table, not to
the MBR; I wanted to pretend that the 386spart.par file was really a disk
slice so that I could swap on it.

> Use vn devices and fix the vm (?) problems that required non-swapping accesses
> to go through the file system.  I'm not sure how to handle booting from one
> of these slices.  You could put the slice in the MBR only if there is a free
> entry.

I'm not sure either; that's something to worry about later 8)

> Bruce

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[