Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:31:00 +0200
From:      "Emil Filipov" <tie@einet.bg>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPPOE server with pppoed and mppe

Hi,

I am trying to configure a secure pppoe server.So far it works perfectly =
with Windows clients authenticating with MSChapv2. However, if MPPE is =
negotiated, the client receives only about 1/4th(30-40 kbytes/s) of the =
bandwidth available while downloading.=20
Download seem 'leapy' : it starts with high speed , then for a second or =
two it stops completely then it bursts again. I'm not quite sure why =
this happens, but everything goes back to normal when mppe is turned =
off. I assume that this is due to the re-initialised key on every 256th =
packet. Anybody seen that?=20
I tried different key lengths for the mppe but nothing changed. I =
haven't tried the stateless encryption though, beacuse the clients =
reject it.

Here are the details :
FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE

pppoe:
 allow users
  enable mschapv2
 enable mppe
 set mppe 40 stateful
 disable deflate pred1 utmp vjcomp ipv6cp ccp
 deny deflate pred1 utmp vjcomp ipv6cp ccp
 allow mode direct
 set mru 1492
 set mtu 1492
 set speed sync
set ifaddr 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.15-10.0.0.20
set log connect command chap lcp error alert warning

Regards,
Emil Filipov