Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:21:10 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        darnison@albury.net.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding Kernel make warnings

>>>>> "Don" == Don Arnison <darnison@albury.net.au> writes:

    Don> Greetings from Oz!

Question: why is Australia often called Oz?

    Don> You guys do a great job!

Not me ... but everyone else does!

    Don> ../../i386/isa/seagate.c: In function `sea_data_output':
    Don> ../../i386/isa/seagate.c: 1124: warning: assignment discards
    Don> `volatile' from pointer target type

    Don> Any ideas???

It's just a warning message (as it says).  The compiler is warning you
that the C code it's compiling is valid syntactically, but the
semantics may not be what you expect.  At run time, there may be some
unintended behavior.

If it's working for you, just relax.

You can throttle the amount of warning messages produced by the GNU
compiler---rather like a sliding control on anal retentiveness.  If
you increase the amount of warning checking to the maximum, I'd bet
you get hundreds of warning messages when compiling a kernel.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov