Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:14:57 -0800
From:      Brady Montz <bradym@mail.hydrologue.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA crahes - solved (it seems)!

--text follows this line--
Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:00:47PM -0800, Brady Montz stood up and spoke:
> >
> > Sadly, as of yesterday's version of the source, my crashes still
> > persist. I have the VIA 586 chipset.
>
> The VIA 586 chipset (I guess you are referring to something like the Apollo
> MVP3) is not affected by the data corruption bug that is present on the
> 686B Southbridge. In fact, I have a MVP3 based machine myself and it runs
> fine. I don't know about any known problems with this chipset either.
>
> I guess that your problem may be caused by some hardware problem. It may be
> the RAM, the CPU, or even some flaw in your board. Extensive hardware
> testing will probably be the best method to try to track down the problem.
> I know that it can be time consuming, but it's basically best to do it
> before assuming that there's something wrong with the software ;-)

Yeah. Depressing.

One final note, I stress tested it on windows and linux specifically
looking for this problem, with no luck (or good luck, depending on
your point of view, it didn't crash though). And this machine ran
linux without a single crash for years before switching to
BSD. Crashes and all, I've grown fond of BSD and would rather not
switch back. A hardware glitch that is only tickled by one OS is
perfectly feasible.

I've tested the RAM with the various ram testing software out there
(memtest86 being my favorite). What can I use to test the CPU or
motherboard?

--
 Brady Montz
 bradym@balestra.org