Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:17:32 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

> Interesting....  The SunOS output exactly matches random(3)
> behavior from 4.3BSD!  In fact random() remained the same for
> 4.3BSD-Reno, -Tahoe, 4.4BSD-Alpha and Net2.
>
> 4.2BSD random() behavior is different from all of the above.
> There was real bug-fix between 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD.
>
> I don't know when the FreeBSD/Redhat change was made or if it
> broke any statistical properties.

FYI:
The FreeBSD change was made in -r1.4 of random.c by Andrey in
Oct 1996.  The previous version of random.c behaves exactly
the same as the one in  4.3BSD, SunOS and AIX.  I am sorry I
was too busy with other things then and missed this change.

Andrey refers to an OCT 1988 CACM paper by Park & Miller
"Random number generators: good ones are hard to find" as a
justification for this change.

Also FYI: NetBSD random(3) matches the 4.3BSD random().
Haven't checked OpenBSD.