Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:14:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Charles Green)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USS Lite

>         It appears Hannu Savolainen has `somewhat' changed his copywrite on
> USS Lite. It now says:
>
> "USS Lite is a freeware version of the full UNIX Sound System. In short it's
> exactly the same than current TASD 3.5 which is available for Linux, FreeBSD
> and BSD/OS 2.1. The only difference between TASD and USS Lite will be a minor
> change in copying conditions. USS Lite will be distributed under standard GPL.
> 			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	A bit different than what he previously was requesting. This is still
> restrictive though.

Ask for LGPL.

A kernel module will, by definition, meet the relink clause for the
LGPL.

Otherwise it will be impossible to distribute binaraies (the default
sound code should operate without needing to recompile the kernel,
IMO, so binaries are an absolute necessity -- GPL restrictions on
distributed binaries preclude distributing binaraies that are not
wholly GPL).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---