Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:46:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about gcj? (Re: Not committing WARNS settings...)

On  7 Feb, Max Khon wrote:

> dynamically linked libiberty would be a nightmare.

> libbfd anf libiberty  do not have version numbers,  are not maintained
> (i.e. there is  no official releases). every project  includes its own
> libiberty and  imho an attempt  to find least common  denominator will
> fail

Well, they come to FreeBSD as part of the binutils, right? That's a good
start for a version number/release  :-) We don't actually build separate
libbfd for linker and assembler, and separate for the compiler, do we?

Any additional packages (such as those from ports) should be able to use
the  same libraries,  IMHO, even  though they  may come  with their  own
versions.

	-mi