Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:00:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        "Ray, Pinaki" <pinaki.ray@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Formatting Harddrive for Installation

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:52:59AM +0930, Ray, Pinaki wrote:
> I want to install FreeBSD on my harddrive using the CD-ROM (Walnut Creek)
> FreeBSD 3.0 Snapshot in my possession.  At present my harddrive has been
> partitioned in several logical drives and I have installed the following
> OSs: DOS 6.2 on the first 1GB (FAT16) partition, NT4.0 (Build1381, Service
> Pack 5) on the second partition 4.2GB (NTFS), and I have left free 4 GB of
> space for FreeBSD.  I want to know how do I format this space (4 GB) for
> installing FreeBSD on it.

Just leave it as free space. FreeBSD will make its own slice
(DOS:partition). If you create a partition FreeBSD will only ask
to delete it first, and then re-make it.

> Reading through all the files and the Handbook I
> find that FreeBSD can be installed 'from a MS-DOS partition' (but nothing
> more). What does that mean - can FreeBSD be installed on FAT16 or FAT32 or
> NTFS formats for that  matter ?  Or does FreeBSD has its own formatting
> tools ? --

FreeBSD needs it's own partition. "from a DOS partition" means just
that, you can copy the disttributions to a FAT (not NTFS) partition
and *install* from there. Not much point if you've got the CDs,
unless FreeBSD can't see your CD drive for some reason. Installing
from DOS would be used if you d/l FreeBSD from the 'net.

> In that case will FreeBSD be able to see all of 4 GB (or more if
> given) as a single partition ?

Should be able to. If it's an IDE HD it may depend on your BIOS
(as the partition does not start in the first 1024 cyls).

> Nothing explicitly is stated in the
> literature I could get hold on.  Please advise me in details how to proceed.
> Also how shall I edit the NT loader 'boot.ini' so that I am able to choose
> from DOS, NT or FreeBSD on booting.  Thank you.

This is covered in the FAQ.