Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Planning to re-partition. Restore questions

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Since I no longer have plans for OS/2 I deleted the Logical partition
> where it was.
>
> I want to use re-partition my drive.
> Currently have:
> Os2 Boot manager
> Win95
> ---->Unused
> Dos partition
> FreeBSD
>
> I tried to use the unused part for a Freebsd slice, but it did not work. I
> seem to recall there is some kind of limitation to the number of Primary
> partitions on a hard drive.

You're out of slices.  You'll need to wipe one out and rebuilt it to take
advantage of the space.

> Now to the question
> What is the minimum I have to do before I can use my tape to do a restore?

Make sure the tape is detected at boot time?  I'd also do a sample
dump/restore just to make sure you know how to resurrect the system.

> Also can I restore to differently mounted volumes
> For instance I currently have:
> /
> /usr
> /var
>
> And plan to have:
> /
> /usr
> /var
> /usr/X11R6
>
> When I restore /usr from a tape will the data currently in /usr/X11R6 go
> into this new filesystem?

Should be OK.  When you restore it it should spread the files into the new
heirarchy.

Any reason you're splitting off X?

Doug White