Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:36:25 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mauro Dias <localhost@dsgx.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd exploit

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:18:29PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 10:07 PM 11/28/2001, Mauro Dias wrote:
>  =20
> >I readed the message about the sshd exploit
> >i have a binary copy of this exploit.
> >it's exploits ssh versions:
> >ssh-1.2.26
> >ssh-1.2.27
> >OpenSSH-2.2.0p1
>=20
> I wonder if this is the same exploit mentioned by Dittrich and CERT --
> the CRC32 compensation attack detector overflow in SSH1.

No, this one was fixed way back in 2.3.0, the version after 2.2.0p1
(notice the strange similarity with version numbers above).

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:24.ssh.asc

---
An integer overflow may allow arbitrary remote users to obtain root
permissions on the server running sshd.  This is due to a coding
mistake in code intended to work around a protocol flaw in the SSH1
protocol. This vulnerability was corrected in OpenSSH 2.3.0, which was
committed to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE on 2000-12-05.
---

> If so, you can probably patch the hole temporarily by disabling=20
> version 1 of the protocol. You can then upgrade to eliminate the hole.
> 3.0.1p1 is said to be immune. It's what I've run ever since I first heard=
=20
> about the vulnerability.

I think there's terrible confusion here about the problem; the old
2.2.0 vulnerability was discussed again recently by Dittrich, which
seems to have confused a lot of people into thinking it's a new
vulnerability.  The rumours which are currently rampant of an actual
new exploit have yet to be confirmed, AFAIK.

Kris

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG--