Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:39:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@agie.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux ?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Roberto Nunnari wrote:

> Could anybody point out what are the pros and cons of:
> FreeBSD and Linux derivates, please? Also, any link to URLs
> about performance comparations of these UNIXes will be
> appreciated greatly.
>
> E-Mail: roberto.nunnari@agie.ch
                          ^^^^^^^

Hi Roberto,

I wasn't going to reply, since such subject (Linux vs FreeBSD) often
degrades in flame wars, and I think it's pretty silly to argue between
Linux and FreeBSD when they are cousins, and the real evil is M$ ;-)

Then I saw your email address and asked myself: is agie.ch the Agie which
makes NC machines (sorry I can't find "elettroerosione" in my dictionary ;-)

I have a (old) Charmilles wich still uses the DEC TU58 tape!

Regarding your question, my first answer is to use the search engine at
www.freebsd.org, since this topic has been asked many times on -chat and
on -questions.

My personal experience: I started with Linux, then tried FreeBSD and was
impressed with:
1. stability (really rock solid)
2. "rational" approach to sw development: with FreeBSD you get ONE
distribution, you don't have to choose between Slackware vs RedHat vs
Debian vs ....

My suggestion: give FreeBSD a try, and judge yourself ;-)

Marco
---
Il mondo e' bello perche' e' Bacio