Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 08:00:38 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

"David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com> writes:
> I am planning on adding the Wide-DHCP client to src/contrib/ and
> src/sbin/ in a few days.
>
> I have it bmaked and ready go to.  I have choosen the WIDE client because
> it is much smaller space-wise than the ISC client and its configuration
> is simplier.
>
> The plan is to make a boot floppy / boot CDROM with a DHCP client on it.

Having just read all the emotional arguments, I have a technical one:

What impact will this have on the rc files?  How will it affect
rc.conf, seeing as it overrides several values therein?  What happens
if your lease expires and doesn't get renewed, or gets renewed with a
different IP address?

Having seen the complete mess that DHCP client support made of
Solaris' init files (and they were bad to start with!), I'm keen to
not see the same convolution made here.
--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.