Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:09:44 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI->IDE

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:45:36AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:42:36PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> >
> > cdrdao says it has cdparanoia built-in. Is it lying?
>
> Dunno - I haven't heard of cdrdao, but the pkg-descr doesn't imply that it
> can rip CDs, only write CDs in Disc-At-Once mode. Why would it have audio
> ripping code then? Maybe I'll check it out, but I'm a bit pressed for time
> right now.

man cdrdao says:

       --paranoia-mode mode
              Sets  the correction mode for digital audio extrac-
              tion. 0: No checking, data is copied directly  from
              the  drive.  1: Perform overlapped reading to avoid
              jitter. 2: Like 1 but with additional checks of the
              read  audio  data.  3:  Like  2 but with additional
              scratch detection and repair.

              The extraction speed reduces from 0 to 3.

              Default is the full paranoia mode (3).

cdrdao is a complete disk-at-once utility built on top of the drivers
from cdrecord. Can even fill in the missing blanks and make CD-TEXT
enhanced discs out of what previously was not CD-TEXT.

> Duh. Well, for me it fails to work:
>
> [root@pcwin002] <~> tosha -d /dev/cd0c -i
> Device: /dev/cd0c -- "PHILIPS" "PCRW804" "1.1"
> error sending SCSI command: Invalid argument

I had a PCRW804 for a while. Eventually I was happy to pay Circuit City
$25 to take it back. Probably something was wrong with mine as it read
media it had just written, but the read was very very slow, maybe
sub-1x. Didn't matter what media, the blanks included in the box or the
several brands I had laying around. The final straw was when I
discovered dd would read the disc one block short. Could probably be
fixed with a quirk but by then I was tired of it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net