Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 1996 12:17:39 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

Greg Lehey wrote:

	<chomp>

> Those are some good arguments.  I suppose this is a classical case of
> YMMV: I just tried it out (on a BSD/OS box, thus the different device
> name.  On FreeBSD I just have ISDN connections).

I'm not familliar with ISDN, They don't have dialtones?

> $ cu -s 38400 -l /dev/tty01
> Connected.
> at
> OK
> atm3
> OK
> atl3
> OK
> atdt
> NO CARRIER
> ate0
> OK
>
> OK
>
> OK
> at
> OK
>
> And yes, I got a click from the speaker.  But I didn't get a dial
> tone, for some reason, just a disconnect tone after a while.  The
> trouble with this method is that it requires you to have a dial tone.
> On the other hand, I'm prepared to accept that not all modems will
> still generate an OK when ate0 is set, so you'll probably have to try
> a number of these methods.  But you can be pretty sure that nothing is
> getting to the modem in the first place if you have -clocal set.
>
> Greg

Ok, You probably didn't get a dialtone because of the ATM3.
M3 Normally turns the speaker off during handshaking and dialing.
Try it with M1 and L3 (ATM1L3)
M1 = Speaker controll. (Normal hayes)
L3 = Volume controll. (Normal hayes)

Yes, You are right, This method does work better if you have a
phone line with dialtone attached. :) But not needed!

I just tried it on 7 different brands of modems, All of them
returned OK from AT with ATE0 set. So for these seven brands/models.
AT should prove success or failure.

Yea, I agree, Try several different tests.. :)
Can't hurt.

99.999% of my experiance is Dos based. So I have no idea what
-clocal does. You can bet I'm looking though.. :)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848