Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:53:39 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        giles@nemeton.com.au (Giles Lean)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License to kill annoying syslog feature?

Giles Lean stands accused of saying:

> > 2)  Add another meta-config entry like !, say %, which implies that
>
> I've seen (2) done somewhere, sometime.  Probably on a security
> related site but my brain is not working too well right now and won't
> cough up the location.  (If you've a cool change there in Adelaide,
> please SEND IT ON!)

Sorry, our weather station said 45C air temperature outside today.
We're sending it back to the people that lent it to us with a note
saying that it makes the suburb too hot 8)

> I prefer (2) since it is obviously different when looking at
> syslog.conf.

Ok.

> Rather than patch syslogd I usually solve the problem by logging most
> everything and only looking at stuff that swatch picks out for me.

I just want to shut Socks5 up; you should see it go with a network
full of Netscape machines hitting it for their mail 8( (And the office
memo that told everyone to set their mail check delay right down so
that people wouldn't be late for urgent meetings.  *snort*)

"a logfile" is good; I can watch it if I need to debug the proxy.  But
I want the system log on this machine to be realtively long-lived;
newsyslog or no, I'm going to be looking for more space on the root
filesystem to store my heavily-gzipped Socks-powered datastamps 8(

There's another ripper with socks;

       SOCKS5_LOG_SYSLOG
              Sends debugging output  to  syslog.   This  is  the
              default  ...

This is an environment variable that you can set, or a config option. 8)