Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:49:46 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Needed: compat5x package

----Security_Multipart(Sat_Aug_20_04_49_46_2005_281)--

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote
  in <20050819160949.GA29051@xor.obsecurity.org>:

kr> Can someone please volunteer to work on this?  The compat4x port
kr> should be a useful starting point for this - you could fetch the
kr> library "sources" by downloading the appropriate 5.4-RELEASE tarballs.

 I am afraid I do not have enough time to create it now, but I have
 a simple one which includes the bumped shared libraries and locale files.
 It is available from:

  - port skeleton:

      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x.tar.gz

  - distfiles:

      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-alpha-5.4.tar.gz
      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-i386-5.4.tar.gz
      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-ia64-5.4.tar.gz
      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-pc98-5.4.tar.gz
      http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/compat5x-sparc64-5.4.tar.gz

 I guess this may need some more work but it works.  Any comments are
 welcome.

 Also, I have a request for compat5x which I did not include into my
 prototype yet---rebuilding libc.so.5 with _PATH_LOCALE=/usr/local/share/compat/locale
 in paths.h and make the old binaries use the old version of LC_* files
 included in the package.  This is because incompatibility of on-disk
 format of LC_* files is a big hurdle especially for people in Asian
 countries, who heavily depend on setlocale(3) when they upgrade their
 system from 5.x to 6.x.