Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:23:35 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is x-compiling 2.2 on a 3.x system supported?

In message <00Jun22.070131est.115211@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter
Jeremy write
s:
> On 2000-Jun-21 06:29:35 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schu
> bert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
> >In message <00Jun21.062523est.115224@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter
> >Jeremy write
> >s:
> >> When I asked a similar question, Cy Schubert suggested running
> >> buildworld inside a chroot'd 2.2 environment - and that worked
> >> on a 4.x system (but I haven't gotten around to the installworld
> >> part).
>
> Actually, what I wrote isn't quite true.  I have successfully run the
> installworld inside my chroot'd tree.  What I haven't done is install
> the result into the target machine, so I can't confirm that the
> resultant world is fully functional (though there were no glitches
> with the installworld, so I don't expect any problems).  Since the
> target is running a custom, cut-down copy of 2.2 (due to severe lack
> of disk space), the final install is non-trivial.

What I would do is use a statically linked version of rsync to replace
everything on the target system:

1.  Boot -s target system.

2.  ifconfig the target system's NIC.

3.  rsync the new 2.2 system to the target system.

Of course this hasn't been tested, caveat emptor.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC