Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:26:50 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   bootp tags used in FreeBSD ?

Hi,
does anyone have up-to-date information on which bootp/dhcp
tags are used by FreeBSD ?
I am asking because of two reasons:

 + I would like to pass some info from the bootp/dhcp server
   to userland, so they can be used at runtime to customize
   system's behaviour (specific example: I have ~100 clients
   in different labs booting from the same server, where
   configuration should be lab-specific but not host-specific.
   A bootp server could easily pass the "domain" each host
   belong to. I know I could derive this info using the hostname
   as a search key, but this would involve an additional configuration
   file...).

 + I was going to fix the bootptab manpage and i see that there are
   several vendor tags used in bootpc_subr and in etherboot
   which are not documented. Even worse, some of those tags are
   not consistent across different systems, and even etherboot
   and bootpc_subr.c have different ideas on T129 and T130

	cheers
	luigi