Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:08:47 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason@mastaler.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD package system features

--==_Exmh_1899654642P

If memory serves me right, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:29:29AM -0700, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> > I've been looking at the NetBSD package system lately to see how it
> > compares to FreeBSD's.  It seems to have quite a few additional
> > features.
> >
> > For one thing, it has more "make" targets.  Has anyone looked into
> > incorporating these?  Here are some noteworthy examples.  For more
> > info, see <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/Packages.txt>;

More != better.  :-)

But in seriousness, I thought there was some talk about adopting some
parts of NetBSD's pkgsrc system for FreeBSD, discussed on this list at
one point in the past.

> Some of these already exist in the Ports collection in one way or another.
>
> >  * update:
> >    This target causes the current package to be updated to the latest
> >    version.  The package and all depending packages first get
> >    deinstalled, then current versions of the corresponding packages
> >    get compiled and installed.  This is similar to manually noting
> >    which packages are currently installed, then performing a series of
> >    "make deinstall" and and "make install" (or whatever DEPENDS_TARGET
> >    is set to) for these packages.
>
> This is being done at the moment - the -o (origin) option to pkg_add,
> and some changes to bsd.port.mk, which I believe are already implemented
> in -current and are awaiting MFC real-soon-now.

Well...almost but not quite.  I think the work with pkg_add and
bsd.port.mk is a prerequesite to doing an update target.  The pkg_add
modification is in 5-CURRENT and 4-STABLE; the bsd.port.mk is awaiting
a commit.

This won't give us the automagic package updating capabilities, but
it'll help.

> >  * show-downlevel:
> >    This target shows nothing if the package is not installed. If a
> >    version of this package is installed, but is not the version
> >    provided in this version of pkgsrc, then a warning message is
> >    displayed. This target can be used to show which of your installed
> >    packages are downlevel, and so the old versions can be deleted, and
> >    the current ones added.
>
> pkg_version, which will get even better once port origins work.

Yep.  Actually, if you go and apply the upcoming bsd.port.mk patch (see
above), pkg_version will use the origin information in any ports
installed after that.  I've been running my workstations that way for a
couple months.

> >  * show-pkgsrc-dir:
> >    This target shows the directory in the pkgsrc hierarchy from which
> >    the package can be built and installed. This may not be the same
> >    directory as the one from which the package was installed. This
> >    target is intended to be used by people who may wish to upgrade
> >    many packages on a single host, and can be invoked from the
> >    top-level pkgsrc Makefile by using the target
> >    "show-host-specific-pkgs"
>
> Hmm..

That sounds a little like pkg_info with the origin option.

> >  * bulk-package:
> >    Used to do bulk builds. If an appropriate binary package already
> >    exists, no action is taken. If not, this target will compile,
> >    install and package it (and it's depends, if PKG_DEPENDS is set
> >    properly, see section 3.2.1). After creating the binary package,
> >    the sources, the just-installed package and it's required packages
> >    are removed, preserving free disk space.
>
> make all install package clean?

Agreed.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1899654642P