Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 14:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anthony Fleisher <fleisher@mind.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with upgrade to 2.2.2-R

Hello,

I recently attempted to upgrade one of my systems to FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE, and ran
into some dificulties with one of the SCSI devices attached to the system.

The drive was found and identified properly during boot, and was even selectable
during the partition step, but showed no partition information.  This drive works
just fine with 2.1-RELEASE currently (mounting the drive as /dev/sd0a). This behavior
is (obviously?) the same whether I choose a custom installation or an upgrade.

This drive has been in the system for quite some time, and I believe that I had to
work around this same problem when I upgraded to 2.1-Release (fdisk and disklabel
output included below).

Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to fix this problem so that the
upgrade process will work properly (hopefully without needing to erase the data
that is currently on the drive).  I believe that this may be a problem with the
fdisk partitioning of this drive, but am not for sure.  Is this the expected behavior
of the partition/label options?

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the output of "fdisk sd0" from 2.1-R:

******* Working on device /dev/rsd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=2075 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=2075 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 4251648 (2076 Meg), flag 80
	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
	end: cyl 1023/ sector 32/ head 63

------
And this is the disklabel:

# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: fuji291
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 2076
sectors/unit: 4251648
rpm: 7200
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  4119551   131072    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.   64 - 2075*)
  b:   131072        0      swap                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 63)
  c:  4251648        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 2075)

--
Anthony Fleisher	 <fleisher@mind.net>
System Administrator