Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:25:26 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Name resolution problem

I'm not sure where the problem lies.  I've done this many times
before successfully, but this time it's not working.  I've setup
PPP on a 2.2.7 machine, runs like a charm.  Don't have a nameserver
running.  Placed resolv.conf in /etc with two lines for nameservers.
I connect using PPP, I can ping anywhere I want, as long as I use an
IP address.  I try nslookup, and it tries to connect to a supposed
nameserver on my own machine (trying to connect at 0.0.0.0).  I
try nslookup ftp.freebsd.org x.x.x.x (where the x's are the IP address
of the primary nameserver I can use with my dialup account) and it
works like a charm.  I don't have named running in rc.conf.  Why
is nslookup (as well as all other name resolving software) defaulting
to my own machine when I've explicitly set it in resolv.conf and
that host.conf has hosts before bind?  Any way to change that?  What
am I missing now that I possibly had done before (or that was done
in the background without me knowing about it)?

Thanks,

Manu